Friday, April 17, 2009

Writting

So, I read everyone's blog and they all sound so much better than mine... :( *sniff*
I obviously need practice in writing. So, let's have some practice...

(um, please send me writing suggestions or questions)

Liking History

So... I like history. My major in college was history, I would like to continue to study history, I like the history channel and everything along those lines.
This does NOT mean that I am interested in EVERY history. For example - I'm just not that into Roman history. I can appreciate that they gave us a bunch of stuff and the coolness of the empire (in fact, that aspect is probably the most interesting to me as I like the idea of the functionality of empires), but I have pretty much found that Roman ruins look the same. Whether in Rome, Asia or Africa - they all pretty much look the same. I mean - the ruins that are ruins. The ruins that are usable buildings - those are still pretty cool :)
Now - what I DO like about the thousands of Roman ruins out there are that it is very easy to go run around them. How cool is that to run around thousand of old stuff?!
...Anyways - 2nd thing - I like history which is better defined as the writing of past events. I like the primary documents of what people have written about past events. I like historiography (yes, very boring history where I am basically studying how people have written about histories at different points in history). My point is that I like the reading first and the visiting is a secondary aspect where I better understand the written. I would like to think that I would be into archeology, but I'm really not that much.
So - topics of history that I like: Assyrian, Middle Eastern (specially the Golden Age/Middle Ages as well as late 19-20th century), empires, historiography, immigration, WWII (mostly Holocaust and other 'home front' issues), diplomatic... and then I get into smatterings of histories here and there (I find colonial history of Spanish occupation in the Americas interesting - and 20th century Mexican history interesting).
I'm NOT so into American colonial history (from the US side, I do find it interesting from the UK side - empire thing...), I'm eh on Egyptian, eh on Roman (there are parts that are super interesting and then those I just don't care about), ... I'm sure there is more.
I'm sure everyone is the same, but it's the whole thing how just because I'm into history does not equal a love for all history...

No comments:

Post a Comment