Friday, April 17, 2009

Living in the DC metro area

So, I have been living in the Washington, DC metro area for about 10 years now... Here are a few notes about the area:

1. DC METRO AREA
It is a metro area because most people are influenced and/or work in Washington, DC and with the federal government. Case: the Pentagon is in Arlington, VA but is one of the largest office buildings in the world and the center of the US military. Case: CIA is in VA.
"formally known as the Washington–Arlington–Alexandria, DC–VA–MD–WV MSA, is a U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) defined by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) as of November 2004. It is also part of the larger Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area. As of the 2007 Census Bureau estimate, the population of the Washington Metropolitan Area was estimated to be 5,306,565." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metropolitan_Area)

2. Northern VA
Considered part of the DC metro area, but it's in a separate state and very different from the rest of Virginia. Outside of Fairfax County, we usually vote liberal and has been seen as changing a lot of the VA politics in the past 5-8 years.
"It is the most populous region of both Virginia and the Washington metropolitan area... Northern Virginia is the most diverse (in terms of both the number of ethnic groups and nationalities represented) and highest-income region of Virginia, having six of the twenty highest-income counties in the nation, including the two highest as of 2007." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Virginia)

3. Notable counties and cities in DC Metro Area
Washington, DC (US capital, lobbyists, NGOs, UN, World Bank, IMF, universities, White House, Supreme Court, Train Station, Food, Theatre, Mall & Museaums, residential (all sorts), DC gov't)
VA - Arlington (Pentagon, Arlington Cemetery, gov't buildings, university), Alexandria (Old Town, Nat'l Airport, Mt Vernon?, gov't buildings), Falls Church (residential), McLean (Tysons) (rich residential, consulting companies, shoping), Great Falls (super rich residential), Fairfax (residential, shoping, county center), Herndon (residential, IT), Manassas (army residential), Prince William County (army/gov't worker residential), Reston (residential, IT)
MD - Montgomery County (nice residential, good food/shoping, Discovery Channel); Prince George's Country (residential - good and very bad with gangs)

4. Highways
I-95: goes along whole East Coast to connect all states. Metro wise, communter route from Prince William County Beltway and Beltway to Baltimore
I-495: "The Beltway" Highway that goes in circle (not begining or end). Everything in the DC area is either 'inside' or 'outside' the beltway. About 10-15 years ago, 'outside' the beltway had the impression it was super far away (it's around 14 miles or so in radius from the center or DC). The Beltway connects together I-66, I-95, 395, 270 and probably some others to each other.
395: If you are on I-95 from VA going north and stay in the left lane, once you past under The Beltway, you are on 395. 395 continues into DC (bridge) and ends up in NE DC
I-66: VA highway that ends in DC (bridge). Goes through Manasas, Fairfax County and Arlington County. From 6-9 am in the morning, I-66 INSIDE the Beltway going in the direction of DC is HOV-2 ONLY. From 3:30/4 (I can't remember) to 6:30 pm, I-66 INSIDE the Beltway going in the direction of Fairfax/Manasas is HOV-2 ONLY. Alternative routes for inside the beltway are Rt 50 and Lee Hwy (Rt 29)
270: MD highway coming from east of Montgomery County... (obviously I don't live in MD and don't take this route very often - only if I'm going to Bob's Noddle House)

5. Traffic
Pretty bad. I live in Fairfax (Fair Oaks) and it's about 14 miles to work in Arlington. Takes about an hour to get into work each day. My routes, I-66 (if I time it right, I get to the Beltway at 9 am and can continue on it to my exit); I-66 to Rt 29 to various other roads to work; Rt 29 + various roads; Rt 50 to Glebe. Pretty much same time any way unless major accident on I-66.
" No. 7: Washington, D.C.
Because most of the workers in Washington D.C. are commuting from the Virginia or Maryland suburbs, it can take an exceedingly long time to make it downtown. Here, 15% of commuters take over an hour to get to work, the second highest rate in the country. Drivers spend 60 hours a year stuck in traffic, and only 26% of commuters get to work in under 20 minutes-- the worst rate in the country. The only thing saving D.C. from a worse ranking is its efficiency ranking for carpooling, public transportation and walking, the country's second best" (http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/24/cities-commute-fuel-forbeslife-cx_mw_0424realestate3_slide_5.html?thisSpeed=15000)

Additionally, I can't understand it, but we have the WORST drivers here! They don't look at what is going on around them and REFUSE to let people merge on the freeway! I don't get that as it just causes more jams... Seriously, I take driving in China, Jordan and Italy TOTALLY above driving around here. At least in those places, the people are (for the most part) paying attention and anticipating moves on the road which makes me feel safer than the DC area.

6. Empathy
The longer you live here, the more empathy you have for politics. I always found it amazing that the people who grew up here NEVER went into DC and the historical sites and were so empathetic, but now I understand. Even on the weekend, the traffic is bad and it takes so much effort to get into DC for fun unless it's in the evening! I feel so ashamed that I haven't been to the Cherry Blossom Festive since 2004 and I haven't even been to a museum for probably over a year! Shameful! When I was working in DC, I did go to a lot more stuff at lunch or after work, but now that I'm living and working in VA, I almost never get up to DC (unless there is a meeting). This is really too bad...

7. Internationalism
Obviously the area is very international and the use of this is done in several ways. Different groups have cultural events, like the EU Open House (http://www.eurunion.org/EUinUS/eu-open-house) coming up in May, Embassy displays (check any embassy webpage for info), and concerts, social events, renting halls for clubs, etc.
There are many restaurants of different cuisines (it's actually hard to find "American" food outside of chains like dinners, Dennys, etc) inclduing El Salvadorian (if it says Mexican, you can figure it's El Salvadorian for the most part), Peru, Chinese (there is "American Chinese" that is nasty!- for a CA girl and there is Chinese food - the Dim Sum I like is a China Garden in Rosslyn; Bob's Noodle House in MD also has great Tawainese food), Italian (like Sesto Seso, or spelled something like that), French (La Chamiere (spelled something like that), Ethiopian (Adams Morgan or there is a place in Crystal City that's good), Vietnamese (there are a bunch I like, ask me for a list), Thai, Yemen (Al Jazeera), Lebanese (there are a few - Mediterranian Gourmet is great for casual stuff, the Lebanese Butcher also has some good stuff), Steak Houses, Seafood (ok, they aren't nessesarily a culture, but they can range a bit - I guess American...) and that's what I am thinking for now...
And there are great international markets (and organic food places). I use mostly (organic) Whole Foods, the Lebanese Butcher (halal), and H-Mart (Asian chain). The only thing I can't find around here (granted I like to buy groceries abroad because they can be cheeper abroad) are the overly processed pate (I think Nestle makes it) and some energy drink from the ME. And, of course, stuff like gummy durian and the like...

8. Temperature Control
Summer - blast a/c to 60 degrees (always wear pants because it's cold inside everywhere)
Winter - (not my office) dry heat to 70s. Dries out everyone's skin and eyes
So, everyone gets sick from the dramatic changes in outside to inside temperature...

Please let me know if you have any questions about our area.

No comments:

Post a Comment