Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Becoming Jane

So, I FINALLY saw "Becoming Jane" last night...
I think I have had this for about a month now - my Netflix is NOT paying off.  I think I need to just get committed to it.  We aren't seeing any other movies, although I'm sure that will change as we go into summer.  (Wolverine, Star Trek... (yea, I'm a geek))
Overall, I enjoyed the film and I'm glad I saw it.  I think I would have seen it in the theatre as well, but it's not a movie that I am dying to rewatch (I put it in the mail this morning without even going through the extra features - well, I went through one, got bored and turned it off).  
I think I most enjoyed how they portrayed the time period.  That seems to be a trend in the most recent Regency films - to have this kind of roughish nature to it, but I admit I do like that bit of perceived realism (does any one know if this is any more real than the other interpretations?).  It just is darker than earlier Regency films, but it's hard to tell how real it is.  I'm sure if Austen were to come back and see that, she would immediatly see things that
 stand out as too old or too new in the sences.  Also - EXACTLY how much propriety is used in that time?  
So, the story is to be that of Jane Austen when she mets the (presumaly) love of her life while she is starting as a writer.  The man in questions is (presumaly) the model for Mr. Darcy (apparently Darcy was an Irish name and this man is of an Irish father).  Man is somewhat of a scoundrel and, while studying law, also fights and sleeps around (I assume so anyways although we don't see it...) and whatnot.  Man is at the whim of his rich uncle and is sent to countryside to... learn patience and manners?...
Man meets Jane and is arrogant, but they argue and he 'challenges' her.  She reads Tom Jones and further 'explores' real life.... Sub plot, rich neighboorhood lady (cue Lady Catherine) has nephew (Mr. Collins- in part, it kinda' switches later on to other guy) who wants to marry Jane, but she doesn't love him. Mom says that love can't always servive poverty... Jane set to marry, then goes to London to try to get rich uncle to approve of the marriage (ie, so Man can still get money).  Letter comes (guess from Lady, later find other guy who wants Jane) (note: did Jane REALLY have that many suitors?), uncle mad (what DID that letter say?), no marriage.  Break up (slap of reality to Jane), and go back home.  Sister's fiance dead and so she won't marry either.  Man is back in town, Jane and Man decide to elope.  All good until Jane realizes how much Man's family depends on him for money through uncle.  Jane breaks up and everyone lives their lives.
Years down the road, Jane is published author that people love (Ok - I know THAT isn't true; she published annoynmously).  At concert, Jane sees Man (who runs away, but brother brings him back).  Man and daughter (named Jane - significant looks abound) meet Jane again and lots of angst, but happy looks.  The end.

So - it was very good, but I can't get over - how acurate is this?  I probably would have enjoyed it better if it wasn't Jane Austen or it may have been the flow of characters and plot... Something just seemed off.
I do recomend to see it - I love how they show the society and the countryside and houses.  It's like in the 2006 (?) P&P where they add that part where Charlotte tells Elizabeth not to judge her because she is older and doesn't have many prospects.  I think we need those types of interpretations today, which of course, makes movies and such less authentic, but it makes it mroe authentic to us because our understanding is so much more improved....

Move: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment