Monday, April 27, 2009

Swim Log - April 27

So, I finally (FINALLY) got to the pool and swam this morning.  I had been wanting to do this for a long time now, but... well, I'm lazy and don't wake up early.  I prefer to sleep and I can't really swim in the evening (need to make dinner and other stuff at home), so it must be in the morning.
So... last night I put out my work clothes, jewlery, hair dryer, brush, make-up (this is the first day in months that I have dried my hair and wore make-up to work) as well as my swim suit, goggles, cap and towel, and shampoo/conditioner, etc.  I forgot my shoes, but thankfully remembered them this morning before I left.  I sent my alarm for 5:45 am and went to sleep around... well, got to sleep around 12:30 am.
But - I woke up! Yay!  This is something I REALLY like about summer - it gets hot and sticky and is hard to stay asleep because it's so hot and sticky.  So, it's much easier to wake up as opposed to the winter when it's dark and cold and I want to stay in bed to stay warm...
But, I got up (ok- around 6:10 I think) and brushed my teeth and put on my suit and left the house!  (Big applase for my small ackomplishment)
I am going to my local community center for the pool.  (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/)  I don't know why people always knock their community centers.  I do realize that my county is pretty freakin' rich, but I have never found community centers to be lacking (I think the poorest community center I used was in Antioch and DC and they weren't that bad at all).  Anyways, this one is NICE.  It's $6.90 (?) a day and something like $65 a month for in county residents.  They open at 5 am - 9:30 pm for weight room, arobic classes, raket ball (or whatever that game is called that is like tennis where you hit the wall...), and the pool.  The pool opens at 6:30 am, but when I got there, there were swimmers getting out and part of the pool was in use for a USS team.  I think they must start at 5 am with special permission.  They were a young group - I think the youngest swimmers were around 6-7 years old.  It's good to see that people are into swimming, but - what time does school start for these guys?  They didn't leave until after I did and I got out at 7:30 and left at 8:10 am...
Anyways - the pool is a 50 meter pool, with lanes cut across it so it's 25 yd laps.  Thank goodness!  I wasn't sure how the pool would be set up and I was afraid it would be set up at 50 meter lanes.  I knew I was not ready for THAT.  In fact, I wasn't all that ready for the 25 yds!
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO out of shape.  I have never felt the lack of mus
sles in me like I did this morning.  It was very sad.  I am glad that the more I swam, the better it got, but I am going to be feeling it and my workout was pretty sad... I just couldn't do any more!

Workout (Hmm, I'm trying to remember what I did now):
100 warm up (I want to say 200, but I can't remember if I did!)
10 x 50 freestyle on 1:00 min
200 kick (freestyle/backstroke)
6 x 100 (1,3,5 - kick, right, left, swim; 2,4,6 - under, wrist, finger drag, swim) (I wanted to do 10, but think I only did 6)
10 x 25 (easy/sprint on :30)
a few (I can't remember - 4/6/8?) laps of scull/kick and 30 seconds eggbeater at each end
200 cool down

That seems short, but is probably what I did.  So sad... ;)

So, I got out of the pool and went to the locker room.  Where I discovered that my face was VERY red.  After shower - still red.  After dressed - still red.  Went down a bit by the end of blow drying my hair.  Used lots of powder to try to get that down.
I think that shows HOW out of shape I am!!! :)

But, I feel good and will try to get to the pool every day this week (minus Friday, of course). Yay!!!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Becky! I"m so proud and jealous of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooowww Becky, that's a lot of love!!! I'm so impress. And so jealous, there's no pool around here :( if there were I would totally do it (that's a lie and we both know it haha)...5:30AM??? Oh PLEASEEEE

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe - yea, the bad thing is that I haven't been back! I was all set to go this morning, but I didn't get to bed until 1-ish and decided that sleep was more important. I'll try tomorrow morning... ;)

    ReplyDelete