Monday, August 16, 2010

Ramadan- days 3-5 (weekend) & Trays












It's the weekend! Yay! So, here was have Iftars from Friday and Saturday night- I forgot to take a picture on Sunday night. Friday was lentil soup, salad, sambosek, rice with chicken, pea gravy (more like a stew of just tomato sauce and peas- anything stewed like this is usually called a 'gravy'. Saturday was stuffed grape leaves, salad, lentil soup, rice, pea gravy, sambosek. Sunday was macaroni bechamel, salad with corn, sambosek.

And here is the picture of the cups we use for the Arabic coffee! They are very small cups with no handle and you will pour from the stack as you hand out the coffee (I haven't gotten the hang of this- I'm too afraid to spill on someone!). I don't know why, but I really like these cups and the whole process that goes along with it... a very small thing, but unique!

Our beautiful cups were brought in from Jordan by my mom-in-law and sister-in-law. They are white with silver on them.

On that note- you can see in the picture part of our beautiful silver tray (1 of 2). Normally, I will use wooden trays if I'm bring food upstairs or downstairs or anyplace and I don't want to make multiple trips. It's funny- and something that I had already noticed in Jordan- how much we are using the pretty silver trays now... on the main level. My mom-in-law and sister-in-law are with us through the end of Ramadan and of course they do those things like at home. (I love having them here- they are super casual and do many things like I do... and we have always stayed with them in Jordan so long periods of time together are not that unusual for us)

When I saw we are using trays on the main level, I mean we are using trays for everything. In most cases I would just bring out food or tea/coffee, but now we pretty much use the trays for these actions. So, we bring out the cute silver trays (big and small), usually put a paper towel down so the tea/coffee doesn't spill, put out the tea pot, sugar, cups, plates and perhaps a snack. And then bring them out to everyone. Which is very nice, but certainly not something I really would normally do or anyone in my family would normally do :) There is something in the way this is done that seems much more elegant than just bring out the tea in individual cups- don't you think?

Your moment of zen: (ok, not that great of a commercial, but it sure has many big-name actors! ...or at least many *I* like :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment