Friday, August 13, 2010

2nd night of Ramadan & writing scripts

2nd night of Ramadan with Lentil soup, Rice and chicken, meat pies (yum, yum!), fatoosh, and atyaif. Afterwards, coffee - I need to take a picture, you can see in the far right the cups we use- and ate more pies later on.
******************************************
Does anyone write in cursive anymore? I am missing writing in cursive today. There is something very fun about looping and connecting one letter to another.

I usually don't write in cursive (of course, how much does anyone actually WRITE these days?), but when I do, it's more of a half cursive, half print writing. I'll do in cursive my 'f', 'l', 'e' and various other letters that are looping and 'fun,' but keep in print things like my 'b', 'r', capital letters, 'p' (although 'p' is pretty much the same in both prints) and others...

Do they still teach cursive in school? They must- when I took the GRE I had to write the 'I will not lie' statement in cursive, which was probably the first time in 8 years that I had to write in cursive! I don't remember it making a difference in university how I wrote- just as long as it was eligible.

What I find is that how I physically write things is very different than how I type things. I feel like when I type, it's a more direct connection between my brain the keyboard. I type faster than I write. Of course, that can contribute to the writing being more like 'talking'- flippant, casual, incorrect, etc. When I physically write (in cursive or print), it takes more time and I feel like I have to think more. I can't just go back and fix what I write down- is that why it's different for me? Is it because it takes more time and therefore I can think the sentence and each word out in more detail?

Perhaps I should start to practice writing again- in the physical sense- and see if it's true that my thoughts are better put together. Of course, that'll take time, but I miss that part of my life; seeing a topic and talking about it in good detail. I feel like through writing I can explore something a bit more than typing sometimes...

What do you think? Do you find you think differently whether you type something or physically write it out?

And now... your moment of Zen:


4 comments:

  1. Greetings from Amman! Ramadan Kareem! I agree that we don't write out enough - i kinda miss it actually, but it feels really weird to pick up a pen a write... and my handwriting is not very nice anymore. used to be :) I have the impression of thinking faster - perhaps because we type faster. it just oges with the fast that everything needs to be fast today... nobody has the time to take the time anymore. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramadan Kareem! Thanks for writing in! :)
    Yep- I'm been reading these articles in the papers recently about how technology is changing the way we think and function - for good or bad.
    I certainly notice that my students expect me to get back to them ASAP- even over the weekend!
    It would be nice to take a 'time out' at time to write in the physical sense- even though it would take more time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The visual aspects of a production are as crucial as the quality of the performance. Costumes are needed to set a time period. Makeup has to fit the character for an actor to play a convincing role.

    ReplyDelete