Thursday, August 12, 2010

1st night of Ramadan

First night of Ramadan and we had the always super yummy lentil soup, salad (fattoush), and rice & chicken (with almonds and
raisins). Yum, yum, yummy! Later on, we have some
family come over and had some Arabic coffee (not to
be confused with Turkish coffee) and Atayef/Qataieyf-
a yummy pancake with nuts/cinnamon inside (or
sweet cheese) with sugar water on top.

Otherwise, the day was pretty uneventful- I worked
from home and gave my baby sweet potatoes for
the first time (I don't think she's a fan of them). I always find it takes a few days to really get in the
'swing' of things- maybe by this weekend. But, I'm not doing much for Ramadan this year, so it's
different than normal for me anyways...

On a more fun note- I LOVE the TV shows during Ramadan. It's very much like all the special
shows during Christmas time in the U.S. In particular, I like Bab al Hara (the neighborhood door-
a reference to Damascus, Syria and the different neighborhoods which almost function like
separate administrative zones) and Tash Ma Tash - a Saudi satire show. Also, there seems to be
a "Tonight Show"-esqe show this year in Egypt with this women who gives a comedic monologue
and then has a guest on the show! Certainly something new for me!

2 comments:

  1. Ramadan Kareem to you and yours. I love fattoush salad! I also enjoy all the oriental sweets - nuts, honey, coconut, etc! - so prevalent at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yea, the sweets are amazing; I miss the availability of that in Jordan... it's a bit harder to get them here. Or I make some and I'm just not that good! :)

    ReplyDelete