Monday, August 31, 2009

Weekend Iftars: Aug 28-30

Sorry - I'm not around much online during the weekend.

This weekend was very nice and Saturday we went out and walked around DC to the National Gallery of Art (to see their exhibit on The Art of Power: Royal Armor and Portraits from Imperial Spain) and then over to the Botanical Gardens, which is always a good walk through. The Art of Power was a pretty good exhibit - a bit loud and F--- and J--- didn't help with THAT at all --- there were some good tapestries and armor and a few good portraits too. I think my favorite though was a sword at the beginning that was taken during a battle with the Moors :) It had a very intricate design with Arabic in between the designs... I don't think anyone was noticing the writing so that was fun to point out :) I would recommend going to see it if you are in the Washington, DC area or if you ever go to Spain (I think you can see this stuff there too in one of the palaces). lol - on that note - see the Palace in Pamplona if you can; it's pretty amusing their take on the Moors!

So, here is our iftar from Friday:

Pretty easy - fried beefsteak and fries :)

To fry beefsteak - put beefsteak in flour, then dip in eggs, then dip in breadcrumbs (I use tempura crumbs), then put in pan with oil to fry :)













Saturday, after walking in DC, we went to a restaurant called Mama Ayesha to have breakfast. If you live in the area and have not gone - GO!!! This place is FANTASTIC!!! Mama 'Ayesha' is Palestinian from Jerusalem, who came to the US first with the Syrian Embassy I believe as their chef. She has since pasted away, but most of the staff (well, when I go most of the staff) is Palestinian and they have great food and great service. There are not so many Arabs anymore that we find there, but I still love this because they have so many dishes that are what F----'s mom does :) I particularly like their stuffed things - I had stuffed cabbage this last time and it was soooo yummy! A bit overpriced, but worth it! And for desert, the owner was making 'atyif which is seriously the best I have had. (almost like a donut with cheese inside- soooo gooood!) Sadly, I didn't take pictures :(

Sunday, we were going to cook, but I really wanted sushi. (no, I didn't eat fish - just veggie since I'm pregnant) :)

7 comments:

  1. @gwendolen - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramadan Marbrook to you! Your iftars look fab. Now that I am back, I cant wait to get my hands on the iftar buffets- best time of the year for food here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol - my iftars are going downhill a bit :)
    I know!!! I would love to be there right now!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eid Mubarak!! What did you do for eid? How is the prgnancy going? I hope you are over the morning sickness!!! :-) Your iftars look fantastic. I was so sad for those eating pizza hut and mcdonald's iftars. I am not a faster, but feasting on Mc D's cannot be the same!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! lol - once I FINALLY get my posting up, you'll see that our iftars degenerated along the same lines... we did mostly take out the second half of Ramadan and had ifar at McDonland's at least twice! :)
    Eid was pretty quiet for us this year; we had brunch (dim sum!) with some friends and then visited family for the rest of the day. We didn't eat too much though - the first day is kinda' hard to break out of the fasting mode - but lots of tea and coffee (well, for everyone else; not me!)
    My pregnancy is going well; I have reached the stage where I need to start taking it easy... last week I did a study abroad fair for work and had to take the next day off I was so tired and sore; yesterday I cleaned all day and I am EXHAUSTED today :( I need to, well 1. keep my house clean so I don't have do do these rushed cleanings and 2. learn my boundaries for pregnancy and work!
    Thanks for the note and I'll try to get some new blogs up soon. I have in mind the remaining Iftars, District 9 (loved it!) and I think another restaurant review...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a veggie sushi kind of girl too! :)

    ReplyDelete