Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Summer Heat & Start of the School Year

We have hit the hot days of DC summer...

Actually, overall it has been a VERY temperate summer this year. It really didn't get that hot and humid until about 2 weeks ago. Before that, it was pretty nice and even good air quality.

Once it starts getting hot and humid, the air quality goes down. So, now I'm pregnant - hot because I'm pregnant - and can't even walk outside because it's hard to breathe... Ok, it's probably not that bad, but I have a hard time breathing in the humidity anyways. I go walk in the mall... :)

I really do wish that I lived closer to the ocean (hmmm, this is becoming a gripe posting, isn't' it). It takes about 3-4 hours to get to the ocean from here and there can be traffic because EVERYONE does that. So, we haven't gone to the beach all summer, which is actually ok. I think that we may try to go in Sept, after Ramadan, but I'm not sure. It would be easier to find hotels I bet! :) We also may go down to S. Carolina in Oct which could be nice... I think the hurricanes stop by then, right?

So, it's hot and I'm pretty much staying in doors. *sigh* Another reason why I would like to move from this area... I don't like the cold and when it's hot, you can't go outside. Take me back to CA and dry heat!!!!!! Of course, I'm complaining and I REALLY want to move to probably the Gulf or something... I figure I can deal with the summer in exchange for the nice winter ;)

The good thing about August is that we are starting with the school year again. I always like starting up and it helps with work because things get busier and I work better when busy. Of course, I'm also freaking out about what I'm now late on. :) I have a list of things I need to do NOW!!!

We got in our exchange student from the UK and my students are starting to leave for their study abroad programs outside the U.S. We will start events and marketing for spring and summer study abroad and it's GREAT to meet all the new international students. They are a great group and my university is very small for the DC area, but that just means that I really get to know the students - a good thing! I love to see how much has changed since I went to school here; there are so many changes and it looks great now!

So, it's hot and humid, but school is starting which is always exciting. I also need to get my butt on track and go shopping and cook for Ramadan. I didn't do that this weekend, but will do that today. I want to make soup and small dishes before Friday so that they are set for at least 2 weeks :) Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment