Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Public Discussions

I'm listening to WAMU/NPR right now (Tell Me More) and they are talking about the local 'outbursts' at town hall meetings regarding health care. It's a very interesting program and I'm glad to hear them talking from both sides in a pretty calm manner.

I'm quite shocked at the yelling and lies that are coming out (on both sides) regarding this issue. People are getting SOOOO mad and it's shocking mostly because - WHAT IS GOING ON? Why does it seem (particularly since 2003-04) that we can't talk to each other about issues and have a discussion about things of public concern? Instead, we see people form their opinions VERY quickly and sticking to those opinions- no matter what! That is a horrible stance to take! Especially for something like a piece of legislation that is STILL being formed and will go through several drafts before it gets CLOSE to being voted into law or anything.

I first became concerned about this with the '04 elections. Again, I live in the DC area so things are a bit different than other places, but BECAUSE I live in the DC area people are often pretty ok with other's opinions. I mean, we all need to work together, right? But, during that election people were AFRAID to bring up their opinion. There are these nuts out there (a growing group) who will yell, insult and physically threaten you if you don't share their opinion! What kind of stance is that? It certainly won't get me over to your side... and it's a dangerous slide for our society as a whole.

It seemed to be getting better for a bit after Obama was elected (to be fair, I actually think it would have felt better even with McClain - I think people were getting sick of the fighting), but now it's back. I'm amazing how MAD people are getting! I mean - disagree, put forward your points, but I'm very worried some people are PHYSICALLY making themselves sick with this anger!! Anger is not good and certainly not helpful for coming up with helpful compromises and solutions...

Please, PLEASE:
1. Calm down
2. Identify what you like and don't like about XX issue, person, etc.
3. Do some research (use multiple sources)
4. Talk with someone about the issue (ideally, someone for the other side)
5. Listen to what they say
6. Identify where you disagree and why (application, personal/moral belief, money, etc)
7. Think of possible way for compromise!!!!! (at the worst, agree to disagree but try to see where they are coming from)

No comments:

Post a Comment