Friday, December 18, 2009

Current Commercials in the U.S.

It's kinda' interesting because, for the most part, I don't watch TV live anymore. I record what I want to watch and then - on my schedule - I sit down and watch the shows. I really enjoy my DVR, although I have read some interesting articles on the impact of people doing what I do... *Don't watch commercials *We have lost the idea of 'shared viewing' ... I think there was another one, but I don't remember now...

Anyways, for the most part I don't watch commercials, but I will sometimes catch them, particularly if they are right at the start or end of the commercial break (since I haven't started/have finished 'skipping' through). I will say, there are some good commercials out there! There was about a 2 year gap where nothing was really all that great (ugh, I'm HATING the Super Bowl stuff - they are so dull!!! And a lot of medical stuff...), but some have really come back! In particular, I have been enjoying the Playstation 3 commercials. I have below my husband's favorite and my favorite so far:







Commercials that are currently my least favorite are the Ally Bank Commercials. Ok - if your commercial is bad, AT LEAST make sure that we know what you are selling. I just had to do a search to find what company this even was... Apparently a bank, although I don't see any in this area, so perhaps its an online one? I don't even want to look it up because I don't like there commercials so much. Maybe viewing once would be ok, but they are always on!!! Blah.








4 comments:

  1. I am so with you about NOT watching commercials. In fact, I guess you could say I'm even less plugged-in, as we no longer watch/record any live TV and are totally relying on Netflix to satisfy our TV-viewing. Man, I love instant Netflixing!! So, any shows I do catch are a few seasons behind.

    Not that I mind not being part of the crowd. I never was one to fit in. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Janola! :) I never was able to get into Netflix; I would get the DVD and never watch it! Maybe that will change in the future... My sister loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you get real commercials. When we first came to Egypt and started using AFN, I thought it was great not to have commercials, just public service announcements. They were all new to me, and it was interesting to see what they were telling our military personnel about. Now, I want to scream "Just sell me something already!" I'm sick of being told to always think op sec, not to commit suicide, not to drink and drive ... alcohol and the Autobahn don't mix, you know. *sigh* But at least we do have American TV available. I'm a big fan of Netflix,too, although we can't do the instant download thing since we're overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deborah - Hello! :) Yea, that's how my husband has felt with many of the Arabic channels - we only get 'real' Arabic commercials on 2 channels. It's funny though because many are from the US or Europe and dubbed. I'm sorry that they are so heavy on everything - switch over to the Arabic channels; they can be fun... particularly during the Eid's!

    ReplyDelete