Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summer blahs

I really wish I could be more exciting in the summer... We haven't even gone to the beach yet and it's the end of July!! Of course, we don't usually go more than once, but it's really such a shame. I think that is one of things that I don't like about the East Coast - or at least where we are. The DC area is around 3-4 hours away from the beach and it always kinda' feels like a chore to get out there. There is traffic, it's best if you can spend the night somewhere, you are with tons and tons of other people... :(

This is where I gripe that I wish I was still in CA. :) I think what I miss most is the energy that people have back home. It's not such a big deal to get in the car and go have fun somewhere. People are just willing to be more active and they are gosh-darn positive about it too and any mishaps on the way! I miss the parks and little outdoor activities. They have them here, but it always seems difficult to get out to, or they cost money, or parking gets messed up (grrrrrr).... Maybe I'm just more lazy than I used to be. But, when I go back home to CA, I'm more active with doing stuff or finding stuff to do!!

The best thing about the summer in the DC area is the outdoor films. "Screen on the Green" is the best! For 4-5 Monday's in a row, they will put up a huge screen on the National Mall and show a selection of (usually) old movies for free. It's REALLY fun and while hot, there is SUCH a great feeling of the crowd and everyone out with their blankets and dinners and such. It was much easier for me to do this when I actually worked in DC (I'm in Arlington now), but I want to do that again this year. There is something I love about these types of events and the people who go to them :) More information about Screen on the Green can be found here. Many other cities in the area do the same thing - I think this is the best and more success thing they do.

I was looking for other fun stuff this summer through the different parks, but they all cost money! :( And I'm very cheep like that...

Anyways, the films this year are:
July 20: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"
July 27: "Dog Day Afternoon"
Aug. 3: "On the Waterfront"
Aug. 10: "Rebel Without a Cause"

I missed this Monday's film, but we'll see about the rest. I don't know "Dog Day Afternoon" - I think I know "On the Waterfront." I'm mad I missed "Close Encounters!!" Ah well.

5 comments:

  1. Is that Washington, DC area?
    I spent 4 weeks there when I was 17.
    :)
    Ah, I just read it in your sidebar.
    I hated the humidity there, yuck.
    But I loved Chincoteague island and the bay area there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - I hope that you liked it here! It is fun, but the weather is not the best... we have been pretty good this summer - it hasn't been really hot at all and not too humid. The bay area is much nicer, but my problem is that we never want to drive out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yepp, I read that.
    Similar problem here, especially since our car doesn't have AC.
    It would be sort of ok for me, but the dogs would get a heat attack.
    Plus the roads suck.
    There are close to no highways here and the "normal" roads suck!
    Oh well, more time for exploring the neighbourhood, sigh ;)

    Are there no parks nearby you? But then comes the part of self motivation again, no?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol - yep - self motivation is not my strong suit right now :)
    Actually, there aren't really good parks near-by. But, I think I'm spoiled to CA parks... The parks in my county (Fairfax) are ok, but most are super small and not really functional in that way. The ones that are nicer are a bit farther out, so I'm looking at at least 30 minutes to get out there. There is DC, but again, it was easier to get there when I worked in DC... the self motivation now that I'm out of the city :)
    But, I should get out more - summer is fine for traffic in most cases and it's been a pretty good summer for weather. Lately, we have more been walking about our local town center, which I will say they have GREATLY improved for walkers (although there is very little parking). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 minutes drive doesn't sound too bad. That's what it take me here to get as far as 25km :)

    ReplyDelete