Friday, May 29, 2009

Body of Lies review

After having this movie in my house for about a month (I am reconsidering my NetFlix subscription), I finally watched this movie last night.  Or rather, I watched half of the movie and then put it in the return envelope and went to bed.  Yea, it was that interesting.No, I take that back.  It was interesting - I just couldn't get over 2 main things: 1. the pace was really slow (the 'romance' I think made it worst) and 2. yep - that is SOOOOOO not Jordan.  I had wanted to see this movie and then put it aside until I came across a blog that talked about this movie and how it was supposed to be in Jordan, but that it was VERY obviously not in Jordan.  So, I wanted to see the movie anyways and thought - maybe this person was just very sensitive and maybe it's not THAT bad.  ... well - it's pretty bad.

Now, I can't say anything about the Iraqi part.  I've never been to Iraq and while I think it did look more like Morocco there than Iraq... I have not been to Iraq.  (or Morocco for that matter, but I'm more familiar with their landscape and geography - sad, huh?  I should be more familiar with Iraq)  But, Jordan?  Now, that was pretty bad.  I mean - it was pretty OBVIOUS that it was NOT Jordan.  It was good to see some green, but just everything was wrong about the landscape.  

OMG - I laughed so hard when I saw the "American Embassy!"   They made the Embassy like a regular building (for the most part), but for those of you who have been to Jordan, the embassy is essentially a fort.  As in... 1. I can't figure out how to get in - a problem if I'm ever in trouble.  There are huge walls around the entire thing and Humvees with soldiers with AK-47s on each corner.  2. The embassy is a compound and has all of the admin buildings, plus housing for workers. 3. The
 embassy in Jordan is pretty much smack in the middle of a residential area and takes up an entire block of land - so you don't just go down the street and turn into it (unless there is a side entrance
 that I don't know about which is possible since, as mentioned before, I have yet to see how you get in) like they show in the movie.

They tried to insert the King Abdullah mosque into the city scape - I assume that here they used the same technique that was used in The Kingdom where they put in the Kingdom Centre 
(Al Mamlaka) - see picture to the right - into their
 view of what was part of Dubai, I believe...  They actually wanted to film this movie in the UAE, but that was denied and so we got the filming in Morocco.  But, they didn't really work to make the area look like Jordan and Amman.  I mean, Amman is a rather new city.  They are celebrating their 100 anniversary this year.  There has been SO much development there since the Hashimates came to Jordan in the 1920s.  JORDAN for the most part is pretty new - they were part of the Roman empire and then had villages as part of the Holy Land and during the crusades and then as Bedouin tribes - but I don't think people how NEW Jordan is as a nation.  And how somewhere in between 60-80% of the population is not native Jordanian, but is from Palestine.  ...but I digress. :)  (let me know if you want me to write more about this and I'll do extra research)

So, the movie was interesting in how it had the CIA working in the Middle East and how they work with the locals and the partner government agencies (2nd complaint - the head of the Jordan police -or whatever - is VERY not Jordanian - the actor is Mark Strong - complete with a very small pointy noise and everything.  I think he did ok with the accent - it would come and go, but I anyways think that to speak Arabic better you have to think in a British accent to get the vowels correct, but his body language was all off.  He tried to be smooth, which was good, but he couldn't get the defensive posture that I find in every Arab male in that area.  lol - it's quite funny; I can write about that at any request).  They put Leo's character as willing to understand the area and work with people and learn the culture/language and Russel Crowe's character as an ignorant, cowboy jerk.  To which - they both did very good jobs in there roles - I really don't like Crowe's character and I know that's the point. :)  But, the pace was getting rather painful to watch.  So, I stopped...

Now - this movie was taken off a book written by  David Ignatius, a columnist for The Washington Post.   I like reading Ignatius and so I would hope that the BOOK is better than the movie - slow paced stories usually are better to read.  I understand that the romance in THAT book is even more painful, but at least I can skip over it if I need to.

So - the movie is NOT worth renting, but I would try to watch it again if it came on tv...

Some Pictures of Amman, although they don't do it justice:







2 comments:

  1. It's funny what a different perspective you take after traveling and experiencing different cultures. For me I now see how unaware most people are, just like with this movie, most people just don't know any better. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grin, movies and their makers...it sometimes makes me wonder :)

    Amman looks a bit like Kuwait.
    But greener and prettier :)

    ReplyDelete