Wednesday, November 28, 2012

@MUCareerInADay

Time to promote my Alma mater & my profession!  Today, Nov 28th, 2012, I will be tweeting my day for @MUCareerInADay!

Marymount Alumni live-tweet their workday to give current students and other alumni a sense of what a day in the life is like in their particular career field

Alma mater: Marymount University

Bachelors of Art: History, Politics minor
Graduation: May 2002

Coursework in MBA program

Study abroad at MU: London internship program.  Did internship at War on Want, focusing on the Tobin Tax campaign.



My background:
From Northern California

Married with a 2 1/2 year old and another on the way

Have traveled to: Japan, UK, Bahamas, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, France, Italy, Spain, Egypt, Jordan, UAE (Dubai), China, Canada.


Work background
In high school and while at MU, I did lots of different internships with political offices and NGOs.  This was great in getting involved with my community and, when doing the internships in the DC area, to see how different offices function.  Doing my internship abroad was great in experiencing the difference in how NGOs work in the USA and how they function- and market- abroad.

My senior year, I worked in the Study Abroad office at MU where I actually started the first international photo contest we had!  For pictures of our photo contest this year, please see this link.

After graduation in 2002 I did some temporary jobs in the DC area until I got a position at ISEP- International Student Exchange Program.  From 2003-2006 I went from Program Assistant to Program Officer for Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Iceland, Finland and Malta and in addition to those duties, I also worked on the J-1 visa process for all of our incoming students to the U.S.  This was a great organization to really learn about international education from an administration point of view as well as to very quickly learn the MANY issues that can arise in International Education! :)

In September of 2006, I came back to Marymount University as a Study Abroad Coordinator in the Center for Global Education.  It's very nice to be back on a university campus where I get to work with students at all parts of the study abroad process- initial advising, pre-departure information, after they return- I get to work with other advisers and I get to work with great faculty and staff here!

Also, while at MU, I have been able to travel to many different locations for site visits or with our students and professors when they go abroad for a class!

So, please follow me today and enjoy seeing what I do! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment