Monday, October 15, 2012

Book Review: Divergent

I love dystopian novels!  And so I have been enjoying this insurgence of dystopian books into the world as of late.  I find it also interesting that they are young adult novels; the themes are so different from that of the older generation dystopians.  (less sex certainly, but also the point of view is so different it seems)

I read the Hunger Games awhile back and found it ok.  I had some issues with the characters through the story.  (ok, it's young adult, but considering you are pretty graphically describing them killing each other, I think some things could have been better developed)  Having said that, the other two books were significantly better and I in particular loved the third book.

This review is on another book- Divergent.  Divergent takes place in a future focused on the people living in the Chicago area.  We know that society has basically broken down at one point and it was decided that to maintain peace, everyone chooses a particular lifestyle- or faction- in which to live in.  Each faction values certain things: Candor- honesty, Abnegation- selflessness, Dauntless- bravery, Amity- peace, and Erudite- intelligence.

Until they are around 16 years old, all of the children of the faction learn together.  Then, they go through an exam of sorts so that they can see what faction they truly belong in.  After that, they can choose to either go to the faction the test says they belong in or stay with their family (sometimes there is no change from the test).  If they leave for a new faction, they effectively cut off all ties with their family and the old faction.

Our heroine's conflict comes when she tests into no faction.  She is not faction-less (a fate seen almost worst than death , but she is told it's very dangerous.  She chooses a new faction and starts their initiation process- knowing the process may kill her or have her end up faction-less.

At the same time, we see that there is a larger plot at work, although nothing is clear for quite awhile and even by the end, you are eager for the next book (Insurgent) because we still don't have the answers!

I love this book so much- mostly because the characters are developed so well.  That may be because we are allowed to look at the individuals much more before we get into the larger conspiracy, but I'm glad because it let's us experience this in 'real time' with the characters and connect to them much more.

I also love the different factions- sort of a la Brave New World (although that is class, maybe I need a better parallel example!)- I like the 'role' factor of dystopian novels and think this one does that well while still preserving individual characters.  It's a great way that Veronica develops the characters and then society and the overall plot.

The author, Veronica Roth, also seems great.  And she is so young for having such a successful book!  She is currently 24 years old!!  I'm so jealous in my thirties I haven't done something like this ;)  I highly recommend that you check out her blog- she has some great posts there!

So, I HIGHLY recommend this book and I can't wait to read the next one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment